Website by Ibiscuits
How equal are women, really?
In most lines of the following text, there is
either a spelling or a punctuation error.
- On the face of it, women in Britain have not done too badly over the
- thirty years. There has been a woman prime Minister
a woman has gone into
- space, and women are ordained as priests. They have won the right to equal
- pay with men for the same work
of the fact that they still earn only
80% of their male colleague
salaries. They have even become professionals
- in what have always been considered male sports, like football. But can it
- really be said that equality of the sexes is fact rather than wishful
- trouble begins at school, though equality shouldn't be an issue in education
- since, ac
the Department of Education's statistics, they do better than
- boys in exams at all levels. Nevertheless, they are at an immediate
- disadvantage as soon as they apply for jobs and go out to work. Teachers
- believe it
vital to overcome this by encouraging them to study subjects like
- physics, which have been almost exclusively a male preserve. A
- research recently carried out at Reading university may explain why boys
or not they have better academic qualifications. It shows that
- they are willing to call out answers in class and risk making mistakes, whereas
- girls feel self
conscious. This capacity to take the lead is why boys tend to
- make a better impres
at an interview for a business career, though they may
- not always pro
ove to be the best choice thereafter.
Add to page list ?