Vocabulary: expressions with carry
There are some phrasal verbs that use "carry".
Can you match the meanings of :
Carry on , carry off, carry out ...
1 How many of these expressions do you use?
2 - Match the meanings
Look at the sentences below containing expressions with carry.
Match them to the appropriate meanings below.
EXAMPLE: a) ii)
- People started to get really carried away.
One man got on the table and started dancing.
- She's an important person.
Her opinions carry a lot of weight.
- It's really quite a risky venture.
I doubt whether they'll be able to
carry it off.
- Her great courage
carried her through her illness.
- The motion was carried by 310 votes to 306.
- It was all quite funny at first but they really
carried the joke too far.
- His voice didn't carry to the back of the hall.
I couldn't hear a word he was saying.
- Do you think she'll
carry out her threat to resign?
- He carried on talking despite all the noise.
- to be approved
- to be too excited
- (of a sound) to be able to reach a certain distance
- to succeed in doing something
- to do something too much or for too long
- to continue doing something
- to be respected and believed by people
- to complete a job or put into practice a plan or order
- to help someone manage when they are ill
or having difficulties
3 - Complete Sentences
Now complete these sentences with one of the expressions.
- I got a bit ____________ carried away.
and bought three pairs of shoes instead of one.
- A public speaker needs a voice that ____________ carries
- Sarah's views ____________ carry
a lot of ____________ ____
with the Sales Director.
- He felt nervous before the speech but he
well in the end.
- How long did the party
____________ carry on
for after I left?
- The bill was finally
despite strong opposition.
- I think we should wait until more tests have been
- Despite all the problems they were having, their love for each other
- The joke was quite funny at first but they definitely
My father died penniless,
to ____________ for all his failed business ventures
4 - Discussion
Extra points for using an expression with "carry"
while discussing these points.
- How long do you think you will
carry on studying English for?
- Do you know of a situation where a joke
was carried too far? What happened?
- What happens if parents or teachers make
threats to children which they don't carry out?
- Would you be a good public speaker?
Does your voice carry well in large spaces?
- Do you have a friend or is there someone in your family
whose views carry a lot of weight? Why is that?
- Have you ever managed to
carry something off
that you didn't really think was possible?
5 - Match up pairs
2 pots to collect your clicked items Starting with the first pot, click the items to place each of the 4 items into one of the 2 pots to form groups of 2 items in ech pot
Carry the can
Left responsible for a problem