Website by Ibiscuits
Sentences to check the grammar
Look at the following pairs of sentences.
Decide if neither, one or both of the sentences is/are correct English.
What can you say about any 'ules' for how the main verb in each ;air of sentences is used?
- He sent me a picture of his new family.
- He sent to me a picture of his new family.
- Could you explain this grammatical point to us?
- Could you explain us this grammatical point?
- Do you need to borrow me some money?
- Do you need to borrow?
- She built a beautiful wooden doll's house for her children,
- She built for her children a beautiful wooden doll's house.
- I can't believe that we won!
- I can't believe that we won the match!
- I haven't seen Simon for two months and I miss terribly,
- I haven't seen Simon for two months and I miss him terribly.
- They announced their engagement to the whole family.
- They announced the whole family their engagement.
- Would you bring some more serviettes for us please?
- Would you bring us some more serviettes please?
Now choose two verbs from the exercises.
Check in your dictionary if they can be used transitively or intransitively (or both).
Write two sentences for each verb as above.
Show them to another student and see if they can decide if neither,
one or both of the sentences is/are correct.
@username - Your comments please
Log in to make comments