Idioms with laugh, cry and tears
Complete the gaps with laugh, cry or tears.
Which phrases do you already know? Which can you guess?
to produce tears as the result of a strong emotion, such as unhappiness or pain
I could hear someone crying in the next room.
"There, there, don't cry," she said.
We all laughed until we cried.
She cried bitter tears when she got the letter.
He cried for joy when he heard that his son had been found alive and well.
to cry yourself to sleep
cry yourself to sleep
to cry for a long time until you start to sleep
- a shoulder to
- to be in floods of
- to have the last
your eyes out
- to be
- it's no
your head off
- to be close to
when someone does or says something in order to prove that they are better than someone else.
when someone does or says something
in order to prove that they are better than someone else
to have the last laugh
to finally get an advantage from an argument or disagreement,
when it seemed that you would not.
a sad poem or song, especially remembering someone who has died or something in the past
Gray's 'Elegy in a Country Churchyard' is a famous English poem.
Replace the phrase in bold
with one of
the idioms with laugh, cry and tears. There may be more than one possibility.
Take care of the grammar.
- I'm not sure you realise just how serious the parking situation here is.
a very serious problem
no laughing matter
- I don't know what the matter was, but when I went past the room, she was
crying a lot.
crying her eyes out. / in floods of tears
- Despite the bad reviews from the critics, the show was a great success, so Pinter
was proved right in the end.
had the last laugh.
- When I asked Bill where Tara was, he
began crying suddenly.
burst out crying / burst into tears.
- Jenny was very upset when her father died, and Tom was very sympathetic.
I think he gave her
support when she was depressed.
a shoulder to cry on.
- I really enjoyed taking my nephew to the cinema.
laughed and laughed and laughed
laughed his head off
at all the jokes.
- We tried to stay serious, but when we saw Ella wearing that ridiculous hat,
we couldn't help it: We looked at each other and
suddenly started laughing.
burst out laughing.
- The way John read the
was very moving - many people listening were
close to tears.
- It's such a sad story - I
cried and cried
cried my eyes out / was in floods of tears
at the end.
- I wish our teachers had made more effort at school to make maths lessons more interesting.
I was always
bored to tears. (Also: bored stiff / bored to death )
Page Not Listed
Add page to 's study
Leon link to chat