Fractions in sentences
You can use your calculator for these.
Not so difficult but practice being accurate,
try to avoid losing marks through making silly
mistakes in the exam.
The population of Australia is 18 million,
of which 3.5 million people live in Sydney
and 1 million people live in Perth.
- What fraction of the population live in Perth?
- What fraction of the population live in Perth or Sydney?
Green Island is split into six regions A, B, C, D, E and F.
The areas of the six regions are
12, 2, 3, 18, 4 and 9 km2 respectively.
What is the total area of the island?
- What fraction of the island's area is taken up by the two largest regions?
In a consumer survey, 100 people stated their favourite vegetable.
25 people chose peas, 35 carrots and 32 runner beans.
- How many of the 100 people chose a vegetable
other than peas, carrots or runner beans?
- What fraction of the 100 people chose carrots as their favourite vegetable?
- What fraction of the 100 people chose peas as their favourite vegetable?
- At least how many people chose a green vegetable as their favourite?
- Not more than how many people chose a green vegetable as their favourite?
A ball is dropped from a height of 6 metres
After each bounce the ball
rises to 2/3 of its previous height.
What height will it reach after the third bounce?
George wants to make a cake.
The recipe requires 150 g each of flour,
sugar and butter, and 3 eggs.
George only has 2 eggs so he decides to make
a smaller cake with the same proportions.
- How much flour will George need to use?
- If each egg weighs 25 g,
how much will the cake weigh before it goes in the oven?
- What fraction of the uncooked weight is flour?
- If the cake loses 1/7 of its weight during
baking (due to moisture loss)
what will it weigh after baking?
Jenny goes shopping.
She gets 1/3 off a bag priced £28,
1/5 off a dress priced £62 and 2/3 off a
hat priced £1.40
How much money does she save?
What do you think?
Log in to make comments