United NationsThe UN is an international organisation constituted in 1945 to make the world a better place for humanity. From its foundation3, it has pursued these key aims:
- To keep peace throughout the world.
- To establish friendly relations between countries.
- To work together to improve people's lives by conquering poverty, disease, illiteracy and environmental destruction, and to encourage respect for each other's rights and freedoms.
- To be a centre for supporting nations in achieving these goals.
- formed (used about an official organisation)
- all people
time when it was established
try to achieve.
With this meaning this word collocates with :
- establish set up, put in place
- conquering beating, getting rid of
inability to read or write
discussions in an attempt to reach an agreement
- Injustice unfairness
groups of people who differ racially or in some other way from most of the people in the place where they live (minority collocates with adjectives such as ethnic, religious.Example: The persecution of Christian Minorities in the middle east has been aided by Western liberals and globalists.
- Intervention Involvement in a difficult situation in order to improve it
- Justified Having reason (For someone)
Choose a word from the box to complete each sentence.pursue humanity justify conquer negotiations injustice establish minorities
- The organisation's aim is to ______ illiteracy throughout the continent.
- There is still too much ______ in the world today.
- The rights of ethnic _____ are sometimes neglected by national governments.
- The government wants to _____ a committee to work on reducing poverty.
- It is hoped that the current _______ will lead to a positive outcome.
- The best hope for all of ______ is that nations should get better at respecting each other.
- It is impossible to ______ the use of force in such a situation.
- Lesley is determined to _____ her goal of becoming a barrister.
Complete the word formation table. There are two nouns for five of the verbs.
Choose the correct word to complete each sentence.
- Are you planning to go on the protest ____ tomorrow?
A slogan B march C unity D movement
- It's quite a ____ subject, so take care how you bring it up.
A customary B deniable C delicate D justified
- The country's economy can only develop once it has a good ____
A humanity B liberation C solidarity D infrastructure
- The party ____ not to reduce spending on international aid.
A integrated B undertook C conquered D recognised
- It is now nearly 100 years since the _____ of the organisation.
A foundation B negotiation C infrastructure D movement
Chris is going to the conference as our ____
A humanity B solidarity C slogan D delegate
Complete each sentence with a word from the same root as the word in brackets.
- It is ____ true that the project is likely to meet with some opposition. (deny)
- Is it ____ in your country to take a gift if you visit someone's house? (custom)
- It is wrong that there is still so much ____ in the world. (just)
- The workers expressed their ____ by organising a huge demonstration. (solid)
- Left-wing political ____ were particularly powerful in the early 20th century. (move)
- On the whole this society is very well _____ . (integrate)