Grammar check: articles
Read the grammar rules and then do the exercises on this page to practice. Grammar Focus
1 An article or article "A" (A/An?)
Put thecorrect indefinite article before each of these words.
- An advert,
- A commercial,
- A strategy,
- A USB ,
- A university,
- A VIP,
- An hour,
- A European,
- An account,
- An MBA,
- An employee,
- An endorsement,
2 Article or No Article
Ronaldinho breaks through thePane Barrier - London Evening Standard
Luckily for theBarcelona star, (4) ____ the window was only a small, modern addition to Spain's most famous pilgrims' shrine, in Galicia.
(5) ____ The Brazilian blundered after being asked to try (6) ____ a scissor-kick beneath (7) ____ the cathedral's 12th century Portico de la Gloria (Portal of Glory).
"I asked Ronaldinho to hit (8) ____ the ball as hard as he could and he had (9) ____ the bad luck to hit (10) ____ the window," said (11) ____ advert's director Emil Samper. "It was my fault." Almost as soon as (12) ____ the gorilla television commercial for Dairy Milk chocolate was first shown on (13) ____ the/ ☕ 31st August.
Decide whether these sentences have grammar mistakes related to thearticles or not.
- Knowledge of advertising code of practice is vital to those wishing to work in advertising industry.
- We want to film a TV commercial in Russia.
- The Think small. Volkswagen Beetle advert was one of most successful advertising campaigns of 20th century.
- Four major brands ; AOL, Yahoo, Freeserve and BT ; all achieve awareness of over 40% amongst UK adult population.
- Next year, I am going to work for an advertising agency in USA.
4 The Weather Cube
EXAMPLE: a) They sailed across the Atlantic Ocean.
We use thedefinite article (the):
- with rivers oceans/seas
- There are a lot of bridges across the Thames.
- A Parisian man fell in the Seine. (He must have been insane)
- with superlatives
- This is the best English course I've ever seen.
- He is the tallest boy in his class.
- She is the most wonderful cook in theworld!
- when there is only one thing
- The Earth.
- The moon.
- The queen.
- with particular nouns when it is clear what we are talking about
- Please pass the pepper pot. (The only pepper pot on thetable.)
- Whose turn is it to do the washing up?
- with previously mentioned things.
- My brother is an engineer.
- I always wanted to be an engine driver.
singular countable nouns
(mentioned for thefirst time or when it doesn't matter which one).
We use thezero article with:
- most streets, towns, countries, mountains etc.
- uncountable, plural and abstract nouns used in their general sense.