Freak Tornado in London
1 - Adjectives
- How many adjectives can you use to describe each material. Make sentences for each.
- Is it impossible to bend glass?
- Can a flower be shattered?
2 Ripping through the streets
How many words do you know that describe damage?
Fill the gaps with suitable words.
3 Some questions
- Shattered is a word describing damage. Make a list of all words which describe damage.
- What other kinds of area are there besides residential areas.
- Which word is the odd one out? a) rip b) tear c) shatter
- Which word is usually the most violent? a) rip b) tear.
- The word scratch can have other meanings besides damage. If you go "back to the drawing board", you have to start _____ FROM scratch.
- The wall has completely _____
- The picture inside the bedroom is ______
- There's a lot of _____ in the street.
4 - All over in a flash
Fifteen-year-old Gavin Driscoll was thrown against a shop window with so much force that it shattered, while local resident Ed Solomons thought "it was the end of the world, right here in Kensal Rise"
Some Vocabulary of DamageDamage Vocabulary
- The oil spill caused a great deal of _____ to seabirds.
- The spider's bite is painful, but it is _____ to humans.
- Heavy rains and _____ winds caused several trees to fall.
- Farms were attacked by a swarm of locusts that _____ crops in the area.
- The introduction of foxes to this area put many native species at _____ of extinction.
- Pesticides may help control pests but they are also _____ to local wildlife.