IELTS Speaking Topics - Typical Questions
Part 1 of IELTS Speaking Test
Example IELTS Speaking Questions & Topics
I'd just like to ask you some questions about your hometown or city.
- What type of place is it?
- What was it like growing up there?
- Has it changed much since you were a child?
I'd just like to ask you some questions about your studies.
- What are you studying?
- Why did you choose that particular course?
- What job would you like when you have completed all your studies?
I'd just like to ask you some questions about your work.
- What work do you do?
- What do you enjoy most about your work?
- What are your main duties?
- Is there any other work you would like to do in the future?
I'd like to move on and ask you some questions about your free time
- What type of activities do you like to do in your free time?
- How long have you been interested in these activities?
- Do you like to do theses activities alone or with other people? (Why)?
- Do you think people have enough free time? (Why/why not)?
I'd like to move on and ask you some questions about your family.
- How many people are there in your family?
- Do you all live in the same house? (Why/why not)?
- What things do you like doing together?
- Who is your favourite family member?
Let's move on and talk about being on time for appointments.
- Is being late acceptable in your culture? (Why/why not)?
- Are you ever late for appointments? (Why/why not)?
- What type of excuses do you think are alright for lateness?
- How do you feel when someone is late for an appointment with you?
Let's change the topic and talk about your neighbours
- Do you know the people who live next door to you?
- How often do you see each other?
- What kind of relationship do you have?
- How can neighbours be helpful?
- What kind of problems can people have with their neighbours in a big city?
Moving to a new topic, I'd like to discuss cooking and meals with you.
- Do you enjoy cooking? (Why/why not)?
- What type of things can you cook? (Why)?
- What kinds of food are popular in your country?
- Is it an important part of your culture to have dinner parties? (Why)?
- Do you prefer to eat with other people or on your own? (Why)?
I'd now like to discuss your night time dreams with you.
- Do you dream much at night?
- Do you often remember your dreams?
- Do you think we can learn anything from dreams? (Why)?
- Do people in your country talk about their dreams? (Why)?
- Do you think that dreams can come true?
Magazines and Newspapers
Okay, let's move to a different topic and discuss magazines and newspapers.
- Which do you prefer reading, newspapers or magazines? (Why)?
- What type of stories do you like to read about? (Why)?
- Do you think reading a magazine or a newspaper can help you learn a language? (Why)?
- Why do you think some people prefer magazines to newspapers?
- What type of programmes do you find funny on TV?
- Which types of programmes are most popular in your country? (Why)?
- What kind of things make you laugh? (Why)?
- Do you like to make people laugh? (How)?
- Do you think it is important to have a sense of humour? (Why)?
- How are education priorities today different from those in the past?
- What is your opinion on the way languages are taught in schools?
- How can the type of school you go to affect career success?
- What changes do you think will happen in the classroom in the near future?
- Is water pollution a problem in your country?
- What are some of the causes of water pollution?
- What can individuals do to try and ensure water is kept clean?
- Do you think problems with the cleanliness of water will improve in the future?
Influence of television
- How popular is watching television in your country?
- Tell me about the types of programme that are generally on television in your country.
- Why do people like watching television?
- Do you think state or private television is better?
- What effects can watching television have on children?
Influences on the young
- What type of people influence the young in your country?
- Why it is important to have role models?
- Do you think the education system in your country influences young people's behaviour?
- What type of person (parents, teachers, friends etc) are best to influence young people's behavior?
- What do you think young people will be most influenced by it the future?
- What types of leisure activities are popular in your country?
- Why it is important for people to have time for leisure activities?
- Why are some activities more popular than others?
- Are the types of leisure activities that are popular today the same as those that were popular when your parents were young?
- What types of leisure activities may become more popular in the future?
- Is shopping a popular activity in your country
- How have shopping habits changed over recent years?
- To what extent do you think advertising affects the way people shop?
- Do you think shopping habits are likely to change in the future?
- What types of sports are popular in your country?
- What are the benefits of playing a sport?
- Do you think the types of sport that are popular will change in the future?
- how can sports bring people from different countries closer together?
- How do most people travel long distances in your country?
- Have the types of transport people use changed much over the last few decades?
- What kinds of improvement have there been in transport in your country in recent years?
- Do you think transport is likely to continue to improve in the future?